During the 19th century there were many British residents in Lille; their spiritual needs were met by lay readers, by the French Protestant church ministers or by a minister of the Free Church of Scotland. but in the 1860s, the first link between the Lille church and the then Colonial Church and School society (now the Intercontinental Church Society) began and an Anglican minister was appointed.
In 1870 the new church was built and consecrated, thanks to donations from British residents, and on land given in perpetuity by the town of Lille, so long as there is an Anglican minister in place.
Our church is therefore part of the Anglican church of England, belonging to the diocese of Europe, and the ICS are our sponsors. Our congregation, however, comes from many different countries and backgrounds and we welcome all who want to worship in English.
Services have continued in the church since 1870, although regular worship was interrupted during the two world wars.
Under French law, the building belongs to the state, and the town hall is responsible for maintaining it.
Read more details about the history of our church below:
|Find out more about the Church of England||Find out more about the Intercontinental Church Society|
|Find out more about the Diocese in Europe|
|Find out more about our Bishops and the Archdeacon for France||Find out more about our Chaplain|